Saturday, 31 May 2008

A big beast to tame










This is my final FMP sculpture. I started this later than I would of liked, as too previous efforts of creating the sculpture ended in failure, due to un-steady material of one, and the falling through of another's purchase.

The way I create this, is by firstly measuring the circumference of the cylinder, this luckily matched the size of another object I possessed, so I decided to build around this object for the hood of my sculpture, made of chicken wire it was loosely fitted around the object to give it a more bio-form likeness . I also with the measurements created a base out of chicken wire to give more sturdiness. I firstly used pre-made papier mache paste, this mixture simply refused to dry, so I took it off the base and the hood and used my own created papier mache to cover it, and then when both dried I combined the two. When the combined object dried , I painted it with a P.V.A and paint mixture, dripping one colour at a time then drying it till the whole surface was covered. I then committed the same technique to the barrel but without P.V.A, but after the paint had dried, I lacquered it.

The drying of the object took longer than expected even with the hair dryer (it dried for about three days). I also had to touch up some of the colours on the hood, due to in my mind being too dull.

No comments: